Now Arriving in Wakanda

With all the excitement surrounding Black Panther which is debuting in theaters this weekend, it feels like we’ve been waiting forever for a black superhero movie. Now that it’s finally happening especially during black history month I don’t know if next year can top it. Black people as a whole have been lighting up social media about Black Panther since his MCU appearance in Captain America: Civil War. Twitter has started a storm and were all here for it, This is the week the hashtag #BlackPantherweek and #BlackPanthersolit is really active and people are out here living their best life waiting for the weekend.

I honestly never been so excited for the weekend to come but the week is moving too slow for me right now, it would have breezed by any other week but it feels like this week is moving in slow motion. The SDE team and a couple of our friends are going to see the movie on Saturday and I already know it’s going to blow our minds. After seeing Ryan Coogler’s last two films I know for a fact this movie will blow every expectation I have for it. I want to congratulate Ryan on this huge success and I hope we all get to see more unforgettable films in the future.

I read this Hollywood Reporter Article on the Black Panther’s huge predicted opening weekend debut, The estimate is $165 Million and that will beat out Deadpool’s opening debut  of $152 Million back in 2016 and If Black Panther takes that’s spot this weekend that will be a new achievement for a Black director. It still blows my mind that people don’t believe black people support their own, I’ve stopped watching movies about slavery for well over a decade because just about every year they make a new slave movie. I’m so tired of seeing Black people as slaves when we are so much more, I came across this tweet on Tumblr that explains my thoughts to a tee. Black people will support positive representation regardless, I know so many people that don’t even watch superhero movies or read a black panther comic going to see this movie just to be able to witness a beautiful representation of Black Excellence.

With all that being said I and many other Black People will continue to support talented Black Celebrities because it’s all about the culture. Let me go break out my best outfit for this special event! I can’t wait to see what other people are going to wear to the theater too. This Instagram video posted by Jay Cole describes how I feel right not, I want The entire cast of Black Panther, Ryan Coogler, and Marvel to know that I’m ready.

Are you excited as I am to see The Black Panther Movie?

Join the Conversation!

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Now Arriving in Wakanda

1. Valentino Senpai February 14, 2018 / 6:50 pm

Black Panther is definitely going to be pretty lit but it feels like it’s being over hyped at this point since people treat it like a political statement instead of an actual film. We got black twitter ready to go in on anyone that so much as criticizes the film. Hopefully the black community can see this film for more than a bunch of us in a film.

Liked by 2 people

2. Drey February 14, 2018 / 8:58 pm

Not going to lie the movie is over hyped but it shows how excited everyone is especially black Twitter. I hope the Black community will take inspiration from this movie and it inspires more black creators to put out their work but it’s all a waiting game to see how the community will be affect down the line. Fingers crossed we’ll keep hearing the good this film has done well after it’s release.

Liked by 2 people

3. Lizzo February 14, 2018 / 9:02 pm

Black Twitter is always ready to drag with a quickness. This isn’t any different then any other time. I’m super excited for this movie. Mainly because I love mcu movies but also because as a black nerd watching this come full circle for me. Watching the black community embrace this is crazy. Being a nerd was taboo back in the day. So i’m hoping that it turns out amazing. I don’t want to be disappointed.

Liked by 1 person

4. Valentino Senpai February 14, 2018 / 10:05 pm

The movie will most likely be good, the only thing that might be kinda suspect is the script. Some people will see it as inspiration to put out their work but the comic market doesn’t exactly treat brand new characters well. I don’t think they’ll be too much postive after effects beyond like 3-4 months because the film has become a political piece, we might see people complain about how the characters are portrayed. We even have places complaining about the women are dressed and the lack of LGBT characters. I honestly wish people just saw it as a film, nonetheless I’m gonna see it.

Liked by 1 person

5. Valentino Senpai February 14, 2018 / 10:24 pm

I’m excited partly for the same reason, while I love the MCU I’m hype for it because Black Panther should’ve been gotten a movie a while ago. Hopefully the movie is fire, if they treat him the way they did in civil war and not the recent comics it’ll be great

Liked by 1 person

6. Drey February 14, 2018 / 10:52 pm

Regardless people will complain, I’ve seen some people started complaining about Xhosa being the official language of Wakanda it’s pointless to nitpick everything but they do it anyway. Most likely once it’s released they are going to point out every little thing to complain about with this film off the hype alone and everything can’t be politically correct all the time, people just never understand that part. I agree with you many, maybe even majority of the people going to see this film will make a political mess of it instead of enjoying the film like they should.

Liked by 2 people